powered by

Latest News

Gatwick monorail ready to go

RSS Feed Submit a blog post

Page last updated: 5th Mar 2010 - 01:56 PM

A monorail linking Gatwick’s North and South terminals will reopen in July, just 10 months after it was closed for refurbishment. The £45 million refit is designed to slash the duration of journeys between the two buildings, and will introduce two new hi-tech trains.

In September 2009, airport bosses took an axe to Gatwick’s existing shuttle service and locked the carriages away for the final time. The cut was one of the last developments at Gatwick to take place under the rule of BAA (the British Airports Authority) before the airport was sold to Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) at the end of the year.

On the day of their retirement, the old trains had travelled more than 2.5 million miles in their 20-year career, equivalent to five return trips to the Moon. In comparison, the replacement bus service has very little to boast about, save for the 20 minutes it adds to journey times.

Gatwick’s new trains have already been lifted onto their new home above the London tarmac, but the monorail is not expected to resume full operation until the summer season. In the meantime, the ‘intra-airport’ bus will continue to ferry passengers from one side of Gatwick to the other.

Airport chief, Ray Melee, was delighted with recent developments at the airport, saying that it was "fantastic news" and "testament to the hard work and skill of the teams involved.”

Gatwick plans to invest £1 billion in improvements over the coming year, almost two thirds of the total value of the airport.

Comments - 15

1. David Lewis

7th Apr 2010 - 01:16 PM

What will be the status of the monorail at the beginning of June 2010. We intend flying from Gatwick and would like to know if the monorail will be available then.

2. Rita Skinner

18th May 2010 - 07:26 PM

Glad to know the new monorail will soon be in service.Travelled to north terminal from south at Christmas,the driver drove like a maniac and for older generation like myself and my husband there was no one to help with cases.It will not be in service for when we travel in June but happy it will be when we travel in September

3. Christine Blythe

22nd Jun 2010 - 07:34 PM

Will the monorail be running between North and South terminal by June 26th?

4. Brian Roger

17th Jul 2010 - 05:36 PM

Hi,
Will the monorail be open before the end of July 2010. Thanks

5. Harry Atkinson

31st Jul 2010 - 06:55 AM

I am arriving at North Terminal on Tuesday 10th August around 0230 hours, can you please advise if the monorail to the South Terminal will be operational.

6. Jade Ronald

27th Aug 2010 - 11:00 AM

Is the monoail working now for the 29/08/10. Thank you.

7. Angela Darkin

7th Sep 2010 - 10:07 AM

Is the monorail in operation now or do we have to rely on a bus as I was hoping to use in October

8. PIM NEV

21st Oct 2010 - 05:47 PM

Is the monorail working from south to north term. 23 Oct 2010

9. mary

27th Oct 2010 - 05:26 PM

will the north to south train shuttle be open and available in november

10. Darren

1st Dec 2010 - 11:04 PM

I am due to flight out to Spain Friday morning what is the latest on Friday flights ?

11. Jane

14th Jan 2011 - 10:43 PM

I am arriving at North terminal on 14 March 2011 at 04.30am can you advise me whether the monorail will be in operation & if so & much transfer time do I need to allow

12. Marie Hicks

17th Jul 2011 - 02:08 PM

I wish to travel to the North building and have booked the car into the South Long stay car park,
how do I get to the North and how long will this take.

13. peter o'connor

11th Oct 2011 - 04:01 PM

How often does the monorail run between terminals, is it open in November and is there a fee for using it?

14. Carole Smith

7th Jun 2012 - 01:23 PM

Will the monorail be running between north and south terminals next week?

15. Edward Kemp

12th Dec 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hi my wife and I are flying to Tenerife on the 8th
January 2013 from the north terminal and we are thinking of staying in the Hilton in the south.
I am disabled and use a small mobility scooter. Can I use it on the monarail.

Mr Kemp